JIM STRUVE LCSW is in private practice in Salt Lake City. He provides individual, couples, and group psychotherapy services, with special attention to mindful presence in the healing relationship. He has been working with male survivors since 1976 and he has a long history of professional and activist involvement in the development of resources for men who have been sexually abused. He frequently provides supervision and training for mental health professionals about issues related to the male sexual abuse.
Jim was Conference Chairperson for the 1989 International Male Survivor Conference. He was a Founding Board Member (1992) of the National Organization On Male Sexual Victimization (now MaleSurvivor). Subsequently, he was a member of the Board of Directors from 1992 – 1997) and Chairperson for the Board of Directors from 1992 – 1993. Jim is currently the manager of the Weekends of Recovery retreat program for male survivors of sexual trauma (http://helpingmenheal.org/what-is-wor/); he has been a member of the WOR Facilitator Team since 2003. Jim was the recipient of the Richard Gartner Award for Clinical Contribution given at the 2010 MaleSurvivor International Conference in New York City.
Jim has been affiliated with Training for the Minds since 2017 and is currently the Clinical Director for Healthy Minds Group.
Jim’s publications include:
- “Dancing With The Patriarchy: The Politics of Sexual Abuse”, in: Hunter, Mic (Ed.). (1990).
- The Sexually Abused Male, Volume 1: Prevalence, Impact, & Treatment. Lexington, MA: Lexington Books
- The Ethical Use of Touch in Psychotherapy, co-author with Mic Hunter, (1997). Sage Publications
- “Beyond the Gay/Straight Binary: Gender and/or Sexually Diverse Male Survivors,” co-author with Howard Fradkin & Lee Beckstead. (2018). Gartner, Richard (Ed.).
- Boys and Men Betrayed: Understanding the Trauma of Sexual Abuse and Assault. Routledge, New York
- “Empowering Male Survivors to Heal Through Community and Peer Connections,” co-author with Howard Fradkin (2018). In: Gartner, Richard (Ed.).
- Boys and Men Betrayed: Understanding the Trauma of Sexual Abuse and Assault. Routledge, New York.
In addition to his professional clinical activities, Jim maintains a commitment to physical health thru active participation in a variety of outdoor and recreational pursuits, including, skiing, biking, and mountain hiking.